http://birthnexus.blogspot.com/ is my next adventure...please take a peek

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My 1st shift began with drama on Tuesday! Birth is an amazing process full of twists and turns, suffice to say that my first shift began with a baby crowning and having some sticky shoulders- easily remedied by a few maneuvers but nontheless dramatic. A big baby boy close to 10 lbs came vigourously protesting (screaming bloody hell as soon as his body felt the temperature difference) his entrance into the world. In the span of 1:30 very slow minutes I learned McRoberts and suprapubic pressure techniques for relieving a dystocia. I was so awed by how calm and efficient everything was, the family hadn't a clue what was going on, they were so wrapped up in greeting their new life.
An hour later I got to "labor sit" with a very dear human being (who's soft spoken presence is a joy to all her know her) and then witness a very normal birth at 8:00 pm of a 1st time mamma whos labor was 6 hrs long from start to fininsh. That baby decided it wanted to be born waving to the world, with its little hand by its head. Normally a nuchal hand creates a somewhat interesting labor pattern but this mamma was keen on getting her baby out without any bumps in the road. She was probably only 130 lbs pregnant too. Women continue to awe me!

2 comments:

cald1905 said...

You continue to awe me! You've moved your whole family with you, I take it? For how long will you be at MLL and for how long in El Paso?

You go girl!!!! Keep us posted :-). S

Sunshine said...

Hi Sandy! A whole year here and yes my boys and hubby are here supporting me.